The medsminder App has been developed by Advanced Digital Innovation (UK) Ltd. It stores your information on our secure i-Focus server platform. This document explains what information we collect from you, what we do with it, and who it might be shared with.
We collect the information you, your clinical team, and any informal carers enter into our app and i-Focus server platform, along with a bare minimum of technical information about the device you are using to enable our systems to operate.
We will store the information for your use and, with your express permission, will share some of it with your clinical team and any informal carers you have invited. We will store the information until you tell us to delete it.
We store your information securely in an NHS-accredited data centre and, if you have installed the app on your mobile device, we store a subset of it encrypted on that device. For maximum security, we recommend that you set a screen-lock on any device on which you install our apps.
What personal information do we collect about you?
- your name and contact details;
- any information that you enter into the app (e.g. the times when you take your medicines, some information about your daily routine, notes you make about taking your medicines, messages to your clinicians or requests for support, requests to order repeat prescriptions);
- any information about you that your clinician/clinical team enters into our clinical portal to communicate to you (e.g. your prescriptions, messages to you about your medications);
- the manufacturer and model of the device on which the app is installed;
- the app name and version;
- internet (IP) address assigned to the device on which you are using the app when it communicates to our servers; and
- anonymised diagnostic information about how users are using the app.
How will we use the information about you?
We will use the information we hold about you only for the following purposes:
- to create and administer your i-Focus account;
- to inform you about service updates;
- if you have been invited to use the app by your healthcare provider, to allow you and your clinician/clinical team to communicate securely, and to provide you with a record of those communications.
- to assist you with the self-management of your health (e.g. prompting you if you forget to take your medicines, giving you information about your prescriptions).
- to allow you to invite family members and friends to join your informal care network, and to allow you to share specific information with these people.
Anonymised information about how users are using the app will be used to help us improve the app, and for us to show healthcare providers the benefits of offering it to their patients.
We necessarily collect the internet (IP) address of the device on which you are using the app when it communicates with our servers. We only ever use this information for diagnostic purposes.
We will not sell, trade, or otherwise share your information with any other organisations except where required to do so by legal warrant.
How long will we hold your information?
We will store the invitation from your healthcare provider to use the app for 90 days. If you do not accept the invitation within this period, you will need to ask your healthcare provider to issue another invitation.
Once you have created an i-Focus account, we will hold the information inside that account indefinitely, unless you ask us to delete it (see below).
How do we securely store your information?
We take security of your information extremely seriously, and have been through the NHS “Information Governance Toolkit” assessment process. You can view the published assessment of how we handle personal information on the NHS Digital website.
The app stores its data on our i-Focus server platform. This is based in a secure, NHS-accredited data centre.
All communications between the app on your device and the i-Focus server platform, and between the i-Focus server platform and healthcare organisations are encrypted (using the same https protocol as you use to access secure websites).
If you install the app on a mobile device, it stores an encrypted cache of the information in your i-Focus account on the mobile device on which it is installed. If you use a screen lock, on most devices the encryption key is stored in a highly-secure hardware key store. If you choose not to use a screen lock, the cache of your i-Focus account is still encrypted, but the encryption key is not stored as securely by your mobile device; this is a risk you accept by not using a screen lock.
If you use the web version of the app inside a web browser, no information should be stored locally on the computer you are using after you have closed the browser window. For maximum security, you are advised to log-out of the app and to close the web browser.
Accessing your information, correcting inaccuracies, and deleting your account
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information, or would like us to correct any inaccurate information, please email or write to us at the addresses below. You can also request that we delete your i-Focus account and all the information it holds.
How to contact us
You can contact us to request a copy of the information we hold about you, to request we correct any inaccuracies, or to request that we delete your i-Focus account:
- by email to email@example.com;
- by phone to 0330 321 1223 (ask for the Information Governance department); or
- by mail to ADI, Salts Mill, Victoria Road, Saltaire, West Yorkshire, BD18 3LA.
If you think we have misused your information…
If you have any concerns about the way we are using and storing your information, in the first instance, please contact us as above. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.